Charles "Hoppy" Radde's "used stuff" shop. He operated a blacksmith shop at 8 West 1st Street, repaired the 1904 tornado damage to his shop, and finally moved to this location in 1912. Looking East along 1st Street which is on the photo's right. St Joseph's Catholic Church steeple is visible through the tree.
St. Joseph Catholic church steeple in the background.
Paul Brown's Pontiac GMC Truck at 208 South Olive Street.
This site is now occupied by The Crossings, part of the City Hall complex.
Pieper's North Star Service Station, this property was sold to Yetzer's in 1966.
Menzel's Garage and car dealership at 4 East Main Street.
Future home of the American Legion.
Menzel's Garage and car dealership on right, looking west on Main Street
Now the future home of the American Legion.
First Braunwarth Ford Garage. In 1929, the dealership was moved to 200 West Main Street.
William Stahlke's Garage featured auto repairs.
Waconia's first Public School. The one story building was 15 X 20 feet and housed approximately 15 students.
This is the second Waconia Public School, measuring 30 X 40 feet. This building fulfilled the school's needs for more than 15 years and is now part of the old VFW building at 125 West 1st Street (currently under reconstruction).
Waconia Fie Department Band assembled in from of the second Waconia Public School building
Waconia Public School, a two story brick building measuring 40 X 60 feet. Several photos of town of Waconia were taken from it's roof, see "Then and Now 1". This building was demolished in 1918 with salvageable materials used in the construction of the new school on Walnut Street.
The two story Waconia Public School Building is on the left with St. Joseph's Catholic Church near the center of the photo. Looking East along First Street.
Waconia Public School.
Bayview Elementary School.
Waconia High School Band dated 1930 with Director Theodore Grivelli (standing far left). School Superintendent Laumann standing on the right. In the background, north of the school, are buildings of the Carver County Fair Grounds which soon moved to it's present location, two blocks south.
Bayview Elementary School, 24 South Walnut Street has replaced the original Waconia High School building.
Expansion of the Waconia Public School building along it's south side included a combination gymnasium and auditorium with additional classrooms.
Bayview Elementary School.
John and son Joe Yetzer delivering ice from the winter harvest of Lake Waconia to Julius Manteuffel's Bar on the Southwest corner of Elm and First streets. The brick building on the Northwest corner is the Farmer's Bank.
During the Depression, the bank failed and this building was used by the Pioneer Telephone Company. Then Interstate, then Northern States Power Company, then Embarq. Currently, the building is used by Thom Agency of American Insurance. Manteuffel's Bar has been since torn down and the site now is a parking lot just east of the old 1909 City Hall.
The Waconia Patriot Newspaper was located here. Left to right are Editor Charles Reil, Tony Wessale, Bill Wessale, and George Mayer. Earlier in the late 1800's, the left part of the building was occupied by Charles Wessale's Jewelry Store.
The Sherman House, located just west of St. Joseph's Catholic Church on Elm Street, is seen just three years before the 1904 tornado, see separate page on this website for tornado damage to the building. Our first book, Waconia Paradise of the Northwest, the Lake and It's Island has more information about this and other hotels/bars.
After many owners through he years, the building was razed in 1977 and the site is now a parking lot.
This two story brick hotel replaced the previous one in 1898 and after various owners, was razed in 1977.
Main Street Exchange Building
Originally the Citizen's State Bank, the building became home to the first funeral home in Carver County, run by Charles Uecker. He later sold the business to Will Yetzer who moved from here to 141 East First Street in 1948. Later it became a saloon, tavern and cafe.
Current Pangea Cafe